Monday, May 14, 2012

ALOT OF CATCHING UP!!!


It has been a very long time since I have posted anything on Gamma's Site.   The first is I was asked if I wanted to visit the Ukraine......I did not have to even think on that......however, I had to ask Mr. Wilhite if he would mind if I left the United States and journed to the country of Ukraine to visit our Ukrainian Princess and her sisters.    We were back in Indiana at the time I received the telephone call.   I called him immediately, since he was out in the boat doing his most favorite past time, FISHING.   Mr. Wilhite said there was not questions on this or even discussion........for me to go and enjoy the time with Vika.    I booked the ticket that afternoon.    Only had 2 weeks to get ready.   I already had my passport and the country of Ukraine does not require a Visa.   So all I had to do was pack, get a dog sitter and wait the 2 weeks.   

All I can say is the 2 weeks flew by and I was headed to the Ukraine with a young, sweet,  married mother, Monica,  from Florida who was leaving her three small babies from 4 and under with their father who was on spring break, he is a teacher in the Florida School system.     We were to fly from Newark, NJ, to the Ukraine together;  However,  she had lots of delays trying to get to Newark, NJ, and did not make the same flight.   I tried to change my flight but they wanted this outrageous fee to change my ticket.    So I continued on to Frankfort, Germany, by myself.     Now remember I have NEVER been out of this country.   It was an overnight flight and I had a seat by two teenage boys who had been in the United States selling  items with a whole team of teenagers from Germany, I forget what they were selling.  They did not sleep one minute that night along with a small baby in front of us who cried all night.     I arrived in Germany the next morning after leaving Newark at 5 p.m.   You get off the plane and walk out and down some metal steps and you are out in the middle of nowhere.....there are runways all over the place......you get on a bus that takes you to a terminal.....it was pouring down rain when I got off the plane..... no umbrella..... I was soaking wet when I finally got on the bus.      So I entered the terminal.......everything in big print is in German......you really have to look for the English.     I finally find the area where my next part of the journey will begin from.       I find out in Germany.......I do not want to exchange any of the US Currency very fast.    I exchange some to get mostly the last soda for the next 7 to 8 days.    The US dollar in Euro is only worth 73 to 75 cents for every dollar.    Not something I want to do is give the country of Germany 25 cents for every dollar I have.     

I finally make it to Kevi, Ukraine, and the most beautiful Angel met me at the Airport, Julia, our translator for the week.    I had already met her...... she accompanied the kids when they came on the hosting program in December.   She is exceptional and was soooo patient with me.       I was so happy to see her face when I had cleared customs in Kevi, since I could not understand anything that was being spoken to me.     I only know about 10 to 15 words in Russian and most of them would not help me in travel.   

We waited and waited for Monica at the Airport.    Monica finally arrived and the airline had LOST her suitcase with all gifts for the kids and her clothing for the week.   The airline stated the earliest they could get the suitcase to her would be Friday.    We would be starting our travel back to the US by that time.     We kept our fingers crossed and hoped to get the suitcase before the Friday date.

We took a taxi to the train station and only had an hour to get to the train.    The time to the train station is atleast 45 minutes without traffic.   The taxi driver  said he would get us there in time.    He sure did get us there in time........remember I have a pull type luggage that rolls.     Monica only has a carry on bag,   Julia has a small type luggage.   So the old lady is trying to run with the suitcase behind her and then there are steps to climb with the suitcase that almost weighs 50 pounds.    Julia who is only 100 pounds with all of her clothes on and soaking wet, grabs my suitcase and carries it up the whole flight of steps in highheels and down a flight of steps.     We barely make it to the train ride.   The ladies were out flaging the engineer to pull out of the station.   

Now this train ride is 17 1/2 hours long; yes that is correct 17 1/2 hours long. Overnight.   Let me tell you Mr. Wilhite WOULD HAVE NEVER GOTTEN ON THIS TRAIN-----It is an exprience that I am looking forward to when I must go back to the Ukraine.    There are 4 beds in one unit and I slept in a room with 3 women I did not know and Monica and Julia slept in a room with 2 men that they have never seen before.    We were not able to get any food prior to the train ride...... so we ventured to the food car........ you have to go thru many train cars and go out  from one car to the other and you can see the ground and the train moving.......  I really did not like this at all.   

Now remember I left on Saturday evening, had taken a shower on Saturday morning, and it is currently Sunday night.......... NO SHOWER ......I did brush my teeth on the plane before I departed the plane on Sunday morning.     We arrived in the town that we needed to get off at approximately 10 a.m. on Monday morning...... I refused to brush my teeth in the bathroom on the train.    It smelled sooo much like urine and I feel there was more urine on the floor than went into the toliet that  you could see the ground or railroad tracks when you flushed.     I had Clorxe bleach wipes to clean up but I just did not think they would even begin to help.   

So once the train stopped -------I learned we still had a 2 hour bus trip to the city we were going to stay for the rest of the week.   We purchased the tickets and had to wait approximately an hour before the bus arrived.   By this time I am totally exhausted, hoping to sleep on the  bus.   NO the bus is so old and hot, along with being crowed,   no sleep.    I just want to get there.   

We finally arrive in the smaller city that we will be staying for the entire visit.   We walk from the bus stop to the Motel, which is just a few city block.     We will be staying in an apartment on the 2nd floor of the Motel.    It has HOT Water and a flush toliet......YAY!    




Remember it is Monday afternoon ( no shower since Saturday) but Monica and I decided a shower is not necessary to see the kids. (They will not notice).   We take a taxi the 20 to 30 minute ride to the orphange.     Vika, Ola and Vila along with Sparta and the Director are all outside waiting for us.     Vika runs to me and does not even look at the tried smelly Mama.   She does not want to let go of Mama.    However, the director sends her and Sparta (Monica) young man she hosted during the winter upstairs and the director serves Julia, Monica and I tea, coffee and lovely choclolates.   This lovely director tells us he will allow the children to miss school for the next 3 days to spend with us since we have traveled 1/2 way around the world to see them.       We are sooo happy.  We spent some time with the kids and see their rooms and the school they attend.   All of the kids are happy that we are there.  

The kids are coming to the Hotel in the AM with their care giver, Yulia.   And the other 2 sisters of Vika will arrive tomorrow to enjoy some time together with us.   Monica, Julia and I return to the hotel via the bus that takes us back to the city.   We have to walk approximately 15 to 20 minutes to the bus stop to ride this bus that should have been destroyed 20 to 25 years ago.   The dirt roads have been abused by the HARSH past winter.    There are holes big enough to suck a CUBE car in and you will never see it again.    

So much for right now I will post again very, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment